Monday, February 28, 2011

What does an Interior Designer do on a farm?!

You may have noticed that in interest of privacy, I am fairly vague when it comes to describing people and places on this blog. I’m not saying that I do everything right in regards to security, I’m just saying that I do what I can. With that in mind, I hope that my story has the same impact as it would if this were a “full-disclosure” type of forum.


Ever since we got married, I had been commuting two hours to the Big City to work a couple days at a retail flooring & cabinetry showroom. I would then drive home and spend the remainder of the week working from home and meeting with clients “up north.” Since the beginning of this arrangement 3+ years ago, I have grown my clientele through advertising and referrals and was still able to be considered a full-time employee with the perks of a part-timer.

There were some benefits: I had an accommodating employer and knowledgeable coworkers; I got to see my parents every week and they got to see the baby; I was available to help with small tasks on the farm; I was able to have the occasional lunch date with friends; and we had wonderful day care.

But there were some drawbacks. Some major ones. The biggest drawback was not being home every night. I felt awful being away from my husband and L’s daddy for a good chunk of the week. And during the winter months, Murphy’s Law set in causing it to storm on the days when I had to drive. (Okay, I’m exaggerating, but it sure felt that way to me!)

So, when the timing was right and everything fell into place, I started a new job closer to home. My commute is half the previous distance, which means the baby and I can be home every night. Woohoo!

I now work at a beautiful interior design and decorating showroom in a town that is convenient for my current and future local clientele. We offer all types of flooring, cabinetry, countertops, window treatments, paint, glass, furniture, hot tubs, exterior siding, windows & gutters as well as installation and design services. I still spend a few days in the showroom and am available to make house calls.

This move was the next step towards the “big picture.” My long-term goal is to first and foremost be a mom and wife, but also have a home-based design business. When the timing is right for our family, those plans will come to fruition.

In the meantime, if you have an upcoming project in mind, I would love to offer my assistance and expertise. And, as always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment