Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cake “flops”

Before I begin the actual post, you should know that this is my second time drafting this message.  Against my better judgement, I would like to tell you why...

Here I am at the computer composing a post when the doorbell rings.  It is common for the doorbell to sound when we use the microwave, plug something in, or just out of the blue.  Old house = old wiring.  So, being that I am still in my pajamas (Hey, I enjoy my day off as much as Bruno Mars), I did not get up to check the door to see if this was a fluke or if we actually had a visitor. 

A minute later, the power went out and the computer shut off.  Shoot!  I lost everything. 

I got up to look out the window, and sure enough, there is someone in the yard working on the electrical box.  He was probably checking to see if anybody was home before shutting off the power, and I never answered the door.  I have learned my lesson; I will check to see if it is a false alarm when the doorbell rings from this point forward.  Now on to the post...




My friend makes these amazing creations for different occasions and I’ve been curious about them since she featured them on her blog: http://alongcameswaune.blogspot.com. It was so inspiring to see what her finished product looked like, and my mouth watered just looking at them!

These Cake Balls and Cake Pops originated from a genius blogging baker, http://www.bakerella.com, whose recipe has gone viral and landed her [what I consider to be] fame and fortune. Since first hearing about them, I have seen other friends making creative cake pops for baby showers and they have been featured in food magazines.

So, imagine my excitement when I had the idea that these “cake balls” would be perfect to serve at L’s 1st birthday party. I collected numerous cake mixes and frosting flavors.




I baked, crumbled, and mixed...



Then I rolled and dipped, taking pictures along the way hoping to blog about how great they would turn out…

In the end, after taste-testing, neither my husband nor I thought it would be a very good idea to serve my “cake flops” to our guests.  Sadly, they were hidden in the deep freeze and replaced with classic cupcakes for the party.

I must be doing something wrong.  My best guess is that I have not perfected the cake-to-frosting ratio yet, or I am using the wrong cake-and-frosting-flavor combinations, or it may simply come down to the fact that I do not really care for cake in the first place. (I know, a gal who loves sweets as much as I do doesn’t like cake?! That’s crazy talk!) Whatever it is, I wish the rest of you who have attempted-to-make or indulged-in this novelty the best of success and delicious-ness!


If you are curious to learn more, please visit the links above to see how these ladies succeeded…. I’ll leave the cake pops to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment