Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Place To Count Our Pennies That Didn't Cost Very Many

Our home office is 8'x6'.  There isn't a lot of room to work with, but this room works hard for our family.  We had to make this compact space functional with lots of storage, display, and counter space. 
 
 
It looked like this when we first moved in:
 
I actually really loved the fun fabric on the original drapes, but years of direct sunlight caused it to fade. 
 
The room slowly got new carpet and paint, but we lived with it like this for awhile until we couldn't take it any longer:
(I'm so embarrassed.)
As you can see, we needed more countertop space.  After scoping out the sheds on our farmyard, I suggested we use an old tabletop covered in chipped paint that I found in one of them.  J agreed, so he cut it to fit wall-to-wall in the office and varnished it.  Cost=$0.

The rustic-looking tabletop is supported by a file cabinet on both ends.  A self-employed farmer and a designer who works part of the time from home need A LOT of file storage!

J assembled the white shelf with plywood and corbels leftover from previous projects.  Cost=$0.  It's coated in Muralo white paint, which wears like an oil-based paint but cleans up with soap and water.  I always keep a gallon on hand, and I would recommend it for any interior shelving, trim and furniture.  Ask your truly for more information. :)
 
 
We replaced the drapes with this:

Just kidding!  This was a custom-made upholstered valance that was doomed for the dumpster at the store where I work.  My heart hurt a little bit when I thought of it being thrown in the trash.  I asked if I could have it, and they were happy to give it away.  Cost=$0.  With $24 worth of new fabric, a staple gun, and a husband-to-hang-it, the new window treatment livens up the room and doesn't make paying bills in there so bad.

The big frame was given to us from the in-laws and the "S" was painted by me.  Cost=$0.
 
Now, spending time in our office doesn't make me mind working from home one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment