Besides adjusting to life with
double the amount of children, our winter has been all about
"The Ranch."
The Ranch:
A place about 30 miles away from our
farmyard near a state park in northwest Minnesota. A place that has been in the
family for 30+ years, which we recently acquired. A place where a couple
hundred head of cattle, a few horses, and dogs reside. A place in rockier soil
where farming is a bit trickier than the fertile Red River Valley land. A place
that is managed by a friend that the kids like to call "Cowboy Dan"
who lets them help feed the horses and gives them ear tags of their very
own. A place where my man occupies his deer stand after harvest in the fall. A
place that I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of in the future.
And so begins a whole new set of
adventures.
The fact that my husband knows more
about artificial insemination, labor/birth, nursing, and all the terminology
that goes along with it than I ever will is not news to me. These are all
things he learned while working at The Ranch when he was growing up.
It is also not news to me that just
like us, the cows have to eat every day, too. So, I will not protest when Jason is
spending his days at The Ranch during farming's off-season.
What will be new to me is
getting up-close-and-personal with farm animals as I have never done in my
life. And soon a season called "Calving" will be added to our
calendar. I am not quite sure how long those days and nights will be, but ask
me in a couple months when we are in the thick of it.
How is it being a rancher's wife so
far?
So far, it has been fun, because I
have gotten to assist in re-doing the bunkhouse!
When I say "assist" I
mean:
· selecting all of the interior finishes and fixtures
including cabinetry, flooring, wainscoting, paint, lighting, faucets
· accompany my husband on numerous trips to
"Bee-nards" (as Lucas calls it)
· acheiving a feeling of 'rustic elegance' (Think antler
chandeliers.) You know, a place where even us women wouldn't mind resting our
heads if absolutely necessary
· being frugal as much as my
champagne-taste-on-a-beer-budget-orientated mind will allow
That is such a typical
designer-turned-farmwife response, isn't it?! I am not doing any of that
demolition, installation, electrical, plumbing, or messy work. Just the
decorating part.
The goal is that after this winter, the bunkhouse at The
Ranch will be a cozy, little cabin where the guys can stay during calving and
hunting season. I am already daydreaming about my boys staying out there when
they go hunting with Daddy. I can hardly wait to show you before-and-after
photos!
No comments:
Post a Comment