Friday, May 18, 2012

She keeps the home fire burnin’

News travels fast around these parts, so I’ll tell you my version of events hopefully before you hear it through the grapevine…


You see, here on the farm, there is no weekly garbage pick-up, or a dumpster, or a recycling service.  So, we separate our garbage as follows:

There is a food-and-other-wet-waste container that we occasionally empty out in the woods, because, go figure, wet items do not make very good fires.  We have another container for aluminum and glass that we haul into town to recycle. Other dry, combustible waste is periodically burned in metal barrels.


(FYI, diapers do not burn, but we haven’t quite figured out a good way to get rid of these…)


Well, being the “well-trained” farmwife that I am, I decided to burn garbage the other day.  My first mistake was doing this at the tail end of a “burn ban.”  A burn ban is a localized restriction on certain controlled fires during dry weather when fires can easily spread.  Can you see where this story is going?


My second mistake was deciding to burn a big, cardboard box that was too big to fit into a burn barrel.  Instead, I laid the box on the ground NEXT to the barrels.  Oh boy.


My third mistake occurred when I walked away and left the fire unattended.  Yeesh.


An hour later, I noticed that my “small” fire had spread across a 30’x50’ area in the woods towards the back of our yard.  That’s when I decided I should probably call my husband and ask if I should be worried…


My father-in-law and husband immediately left the field and came to help put out the fire with shovels and buckets of water until it was under control.  Unfortunately, instead of returning to his fieldwork, my husband had to stick around and monitor the fire to keep it from spreading. 


He checked on it throughout the day and into the night.  But, as I have learned, fire can do crazy things, and by morning it had traveled further across into the entire wooded area. 


That was 2.5 days ago, and it is STILL smoldering as I write this.  The dry conditions and 40-50 mph winds are not helping.


My husband has not been able to leave the yard or get a good night’s sleep for 2.5 days. That equals 2.5 days of missed work.  If there has ever been a time to pray for rain, this is it.





Remember this bunkhouse that I blogged about just a few days ago? Well, we almost lost it.  Look to the right of the house...




See this pile of ashes?  That is where my husband's pile of firewood used to reside.  The one he spent three days chopping...  The firewood that he uses to heat the shop in the winter...  Should I tell him, "Honey, you were going to burn that anyways, right!?!"  BIG oops! 




Why didn't we call the fire department, you ask?  Well, we don't want our names in the county paper, because THAT would be embarrassing!  Almost as embarrassing as the cloud of smoke coming from our yard that I can see from the highway 4 miles away!  haha.  (Sorry, I'm only half-laughing.)  My only saving grace is knowing that I am not the only person who has experienced a situation similar to this.

I feel very remorseful and am fully expecting to not live this one down for a very long time.  I learned my lesson, and luckily, it didn't have much worse consequences.  Something tells me this will not be the last "desperate farmwife" story that I end up sharing with you.  That's what happens when you put a city girl on the farm.  :s










4 comments:

  1. Thankfully we rarely burn anything on the farm, only the occasional brush pile from pushing down dead trees, etc. And I never have to monitor them. All recycling including cardboard goes to the recycling center in town. We get to bring our garbage into town to either of the grandma's dumpsters because they would never fill them just themselves. Maybe someone has a dumpster you can throw your diapers in? Nothing like saying, "Can I throw my kids' poop in your garbage can?" We have a lot less garbage now that one of the kids are potty trained...go figure. If I am ever asked to burn something on the farm I will keep your story in mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. That ALMOST happend to me yesterday at our farm. Well not exactly similar, as it wasn't as grand of a fire as yours. But as I was going to bed last night, i looked out and saw a raging fire in the burn barrel, and I figured the hubby had started it, Then I noticed that all the ground surrounding the burn barrel was on fire. Odd. Hubby is pretty paranoid about stuff like that. I ran out in my pj's, and got the ground fire under control. Apparently hubby didn't start the fire, he loaded the burn barrel up with stuff to light on fire the next day, but the stuff I had burned earlier must have been smoldering and gobbled up all the new highly combustable stuff. Fire does strange things...

    I'm glad that everyone is okay though! Hopefully you will live this down, someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was funny although I know fire is serious business...we had various trash burning locations while I was growing up. Now my mom brings it to town and throws it in the Ford Garage dumpster. When we got our house I was talking about garbage day and my sister said, "Isn't it nice to just throw your garbage out and not burn it or put in in your vehicle?"...yes it is...so nice...there is also an actual dump for cans and glass in the woods at the farm and my dad says there are multiple ones that are full and buried from his childhood. What an environmental disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill i am only reading this now (I'm catching up on my frequented blogs that haven't been as frequent this busy summer!)....AAAHHH I don't think I ever saw that pics! I am glad this is laughable now because I am chuckling, but I am so glad it wasn't worse! Now you will have quite the story to tell your future kids and grandkids! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete